From Silverton Standard, the place where you can write!
Posted on August 05 2010, 2:02pm by Mark Esper
in Local News
Employees report feeling ill.
A rainbow appears behind Town Hall on Monday. Recent heavy
rains may have led to a mold outbreak in the building's basement,
forcing its closure on Thursday.
Silverton Town Hall was closed Thursday after personnel there began feeling ill, possibly due to a mold outbreak in the building’s basement.
”People haven’t been feeling so great,” said Town Administrator Jason Wells. “We’ve been noticing a bad smell for like a week and we couldn’t figure out what it was.”
Town officials said a mold remediation firm has been contacted and was expected to inspect the building later Thursday afternoon.
Wells said that apparently compressed sunflower pellets which the town burns in its coal-fired furnace got wet during the recent rainy weather.
“All that stuff got wet and it’s a big mess,” Wells said.
In the meantime, town staff are working out of their homes and can be reached by cell phone numbers posted on the door of Town Hall. Town officials say the building may also be closed on Friday, but they await more information on the problem.