Summer may be almost gone for Silverton, but the fun isn’t ending just yet.
Two major festivals are planned for this weekend: the 12th annual Railfest and the 29th annual Great Western Rocky Mountain Brass Band Festival.
The program for the brass band festival is inside this week’s Silverton Standard.
The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad is hosting Railfest Friday. Aug. 20 through Tuesday, Aug. 24.
It’s a celebration of railroading, Western culture and history and is an opportunity for the community as well as rail fans from around the country to come together.
This year, the Eureka & Palisade #4, a wood-burning 1875 locomotive, will return to the D&SNG for excursions. The D&RGW #315 locomotive will be running its only 2010 excursions at Railfest.
And of course the 1930s Rio Grande Southern Galloping Goose #5 rail bus is a mainstay of this event and guests have the rare opportunity to take a ride on this vintage vehicle.
A first-time “Parade of Trains” will begin at 5 p.m. on Saturday, Aug 21 in the Durango yard. All equipment will arrive at the depot for viewing and photographs. Beginning at 6:30 p.m. is a reception in the museum with appetizers and live music. Tickets for the reception are available for $15 at the door.
The railroad is again hosting the World Fast Draw Balloon Elimination Championship, with a local celebrity shoot-out kicking it off on Friday, Aug. 20, from 2-4 p.m. at the Durango depot. The public is welcome and encouraged to attend.
Rail collectors can once again swap wares at the annual Railroadiana swap meet held Friday, Aug. 20, from 3 to 7 p.m. and Saturday, Aug. 21 from 8 a.m to 1 p.m. in the D&SNG museum. Entrance is free and open to the public.
Tickets and information are available by calling 888-872-4607 or 247-2733 or at the Durango depot.
Here are some of the excursions planned for Railfest:
Friday, Aug. 20:
• D&RGW 315, round trip from Silverton to Cascade Canyon Wye. Depart Silverton 8 a.m.; return to Silverton, 4:30 p.m. 349, includes gourmet boxed lunch, soda, water.
Saturday, Aug. 21:
• D&RGW 315 Mixed, one way from Silverton to Durango. Leaves Silverton at 8 a.m., arrives in Durango at 5:40 p.m. Coach $349, caboose, $399.
Sunday, Aug. 22:
• E&P 4, one way from Durango to Sliverton. Departs Durango at 7:30 a.m., arrives at Silverton at 4:45 p.m. Three stops to load wood will be made where passengers are encourage to lend a hand. Coach $249, caboose $279, includes bus return, gourmet boxed lunch, soda and water.
• RGS 5, one way Durango to Silverton. Departs Durango at 8:30 a.m., arrives in Silverton at 2:455 p.m. $159.
• Presidential dinner train, Departs Durango at 11 a.m., arrives in Silverton at 4:15 p.m.; departs Silverton at 5:45 p.m., arrives in Durango at 9:15 p.m. Join the owners, executives and special guests of the railroad on this annual Railfest tradition. This train will feature the famous fleet of Tucson Red premium equipment and the Silver Vista. There will be several run-bys and opportunities to photograph other D&S trains and visiting Railfest equipment. Fare includes deluxe catered dinner at The Bent Elbow. Live entertainment and dessert bar on the return trip. $279.
Monday, Aug. 23:
• D&RGW Freight with passenger chase (two trains): One way Durango to Silverton, departs Durango at 7:20 and 7:30 a.m., arrives in Silverton at 4:15 and 4:25 p.m. For the first time on the D&S, locomotive 315 will pull an exclusive freight train to Silverton. Passengers will ride a separate “chase train” with the Pullman Green passenger pulled by a D&S K-28. steam locomotive. Passenger train coach, $399; caboose freight train, $499 includes gourmet box lunch, soda and water.
• E&P 4: Round trip Silverton to Cascade Village Wye Depart Silverton at 10 a.m., return to Silverton at 6:45 p.m. Coast $249, caboose, $279.
• RGS 5, two round trips, Silverton to Elk Park. Depart Silverton at 9:30 a.m., return to Silverton at 1:45 p.m. Departs Silverton at 2:15 p.m., return to Silverton at 4:45 p.m. This trip will meet the D&RGW 315 and chase train at Elk Park.
Tuesday, Aug. 24:
• E&P4 Mixed chase train. One way Silverton to Durango. Departs Silverton at 9:15 a.m. and 9:25 a.m. Arrives in Durango at 5:10 and 5:20 p.m. E&P 4 will pull two Pullman Green passenger cars for the first time, followed by a mixed train, powered by a D&S K-28 locomotive.
On the mixed train, seating is available on one Pullman Green passenger car and two cabooses. Guided Tacoma Power Plant tour is included. Train consists will be combined at Tacoma for return to Durango. Coach (either train) $299, caboose (freight train) $349.
• RGS 5, one way Silverton to Durango. Depart Silverton at 9 a.m., return arrival in Durango at 4:50 p.m. $159, includes gourmet box lunch, soda and water.
• The finale for Railfest will be the Full Moon Train from Durango to Cascade and back. It leaves Durango at 6:30 p.m., and arrives back in Durango at 11:15 p.m.