From Silverton Standard, the place where you can write!
Posted on November 29 2012, 2:49pm by Mark Esper
in Local News
Firefighters battle the Town Hall fire on Nov. 30, 1992.
Twenty years ago this week, on an early and bitterly cold November morning, Silverton’s Town Hall was gutted by fire. A faulty ice-melting system for the roof was the apparent culprit.
The fire was first reported at about 3:45 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 30, 1992, and 18 firefighters were soon on the scene, their efforts hampered by the cold and icy footing.
Bystanders, meanwhile, watched helplessly as the bell tower erupted into flames and the bell itself went crashing through the smoke into the building’s interior.
Silverton Fire Chief Gilbert Archuleta remembers responding to the call and “seeing the whole Town Hall engulfed.
“It was 30 below that morning,” Archuleta said. “I remember having problems with the #1 pump freezing up. We were fighting the cold conditions. Everybody was freezing to the ground.”
GET THE FULL STORY IN THE SILVERTON STANDARD!
Subscribe to the e-mail edition for only $26 a year.
Get a full PDF of the entire paper every Thursday morning instantly.
Or get the traditional subscription — the newspaper mailed to your home each week, for $48 a year..
Subscribe now to “Silverton Public Newspaper,” now owned by the San Juan County Historical Society.
Just use the buttons at the top of the Silverton Standard home page.
Or call (970) 387-5477
Or send a check to Silverton Standard, P.O. Box 8, Silverton, CO 81433